Sharp's Doom Bar Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
So I'm in England and I tried Sharp's Doom Bar bitter. It's amazing!!

I'd like to make a similar ale. Looking at old posts and using Beersmith 2 I have come up with the following grain bill:
Marris Otter 3.8 kg
Crystal 60 0.3 kg
Roasted Barley 0.15kg
Single infusion, light body, batch sparge

Wyeast Whitbread 1099

The hops could be Northdown, Northern Brewer and Perle.

Can anyone advise on the timing of hops additions in a 90 min boil?

Goals
OG 1.040
FG 1.009
IBU 22
ABV 3.8
colour 24 EBC

Thanks

Valvfan

How about advice on when to add the bittering hops versus when to add the flavor hops in general?

Thanks

Hey Valvefan, did you ever make this work? If so, what was your final recipe?

And would you mid recommending an extract version? I understand that this won't match the original but I'd love to try to get close.

I never got around to making the Doom Bar clone.

Now that you bring it up, I should give it a try. I am not a good extract brewer, so my advice will be of questionable value. I have much more experience with all grain.

Brewing software should allow you to convert the amount of pale ale malt to pale extract. If you can find British pale ale extract, that would be best, I imagine. The other grains can be used for steeping

I think that I would ferment warm around 69F to bring up the esters which I found prominent in Doom Bar.

Looking forward to hearing how your batch turns out.

Valvefan.

Keg 1 American Blond
Keg 2 English porter
Fermenter American pale ale

Latest posts

Back