Shark Bite Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
Anyone use these, they seem be a pretty well made product. Thinking about making a bottle washer with them.

I've used them a few times on repair jobs on household water supplies. They work and can be easily removed with a release tool. They need to be supported with no sideways pressure or they may leak. I don't know if that answers your question - I suppose it depends on how you intend to use them in your design....

I used them a couple of years ago when installing a new shower valve in a tight spot where I didn't want to sweat pipes. Very easy to use and no leaks to date. I recall that you really need to make sure the pipe is well seated within the fitting - give it a good, solid, push.

Because of the higher price I would only use these where I couldn't safely or easily use a torch.

They just look easy to use and I am just making a bottle cleaner to go inside of an utility sink, but I think they come at a higher cost than normal sweet fittings.

I've used them for about a year now with no problems. I did, however, take the plastic piece out of them. Easier to clean that way.

I'm with Junkster. They're expensive, but great when needed. If you can't get a torch into the spot, use them. They do spin when installed, so if swivel movement is a no-no, then they're not right for the application. I will always sweat pipe when possible, but I did use a couple in a bathroom remodel recently due to their great reviews online and not wanting to melt my new tub.

I've used them exclusively on two bathroom remodels, like stated before make sure the pipe, copper or pex is seated properly, and they are quite a bit more expensive.

I have them on my system. Hard copper pipe with shark bites at the manifold and keg connections. Not a single problem in 2 yrs. Easy to remove/attach with the little plastic "tool." As stated above they do swivel, so keep that in mind.

I work for a plumbing wholesaler and sell a ton of these things. You should be fine building a bottle washer with them. You don't need to use the white plastic insert unless your connecting the sharkbite fitting to pex piping. Like others have said, do make sure it is seated completely for the best seal.

I use them on the ends of my copper wort chiller. The input is an adapter to garden hose and the output is a coupler that I connected a 4 ft piece of pex to. Work great, no leaks, and the swivel actually helps give some flexibility when I am moving buckets around to pump into/out of.

Oh, and I also used them to tee off of the garden hose supply (PEX) to my brewing station in the garage. Quick work, albeit a bit more expensive. But it was cheaper than to buy the PEX crimp tool for 35 bucks. I think I have a picture on photobucket but work wont let me on that site.

Back