Shane MacGowan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I downloaded my first Pogues CD the other day from Itunes. Good stuff. I had all the intentions of having a St. Patrick's Day celebration at my house, only to come to nothing.

Biermann said:
I downloaded my first Pogues CD the other day from Itunes. Good stuff. I had all the intentions of having a St. Patrick's Day celebration at my house, only to come to nothing.

Get 'Rum sodomy and the lash' great album.

the popes did a few good songs when they had shane in the band too

obviously not as good as the pogues though

mot said:
shane is great..no one could sing like him, nor write a song like him.
Yes, was, great :(

I agree he was a great singer/ songwriter.

I saw the Pogues 2 weeks ago in Boston. It was great, but I couldn't help but feel bad lookin' at Shane. Could not understand a word he said between songs, and he really looked like sh!te. He did not really seem to be there. I guess I expected that, but it was worse than I imagined. Kind of felt bad for the rest of the band too. In a way he upstaged them without really being all that great.

Still one of my all time favorite bands though, so it was great to see them. I guess it is just the realization that the will never put out any new material, least not as good as they have.

knights of Gambrinus said:

I saw the Pogues 2 weeks ago in Boston. It was great, but I couldn't help but feel bad lookin' at Shane. Could not understand a word he said between songs, and he really looked like sh!te. He did not really seem to be there. I guess I expected that, but it was worse than I imagined. Kind of felt bad for the rest of the band too. In a way he upstaged them without really being all that great.

Still one of my all time favorite bands though, so it was great to see them. I guess it is just the realization that the will never put out any new material, least not as good as they have.

I know what you mean. You could understand the lyrics, but not the between-song yapping. I wonder if it's really a matter of us knowing all the lyrics than him actually singing clearly.

saw shane and the pogues last st patty's in nyc and it was the opposite. i expected him to be a drunken mess but instead he was on top of his game. guess it's a crap shoot with him though.

either way - shane + pogues + beer = happiness.

knights of Gambrinus said:

WAS? shane has problems with no teath.. but hey, you cant have half the man

he has an amazing voice! still!

an he is the reason all us brits an all you americans claim irish herratige

the irish were hated before him, we were all rasist to them before he came along and made it kool to be irish! now were all like "oh im half irish" or "my great grandma is isrish"

you have to live there and love ireland to be irish

same here.. jus dnt like people singin at the same time as shane

altho that sounds ok

I'd rather hear Christy sing, honestly. Much props to Shane, but I don't like the Pogues. I think turning traditional irish music into punk sounds terrible, and it kinda pisses me off a bit. Just my opinion, and everyone knows opinions are like a$$holes: everyone has one, must of em stink.

He has the perfect face for radio, turns me even looking at the man (you could stick him to the wall as we say here).
Christys not much better, the man is one oversized sweat gland he just exudes the stuff and its not like he's doing anything streneous, sitting on his hole strumming a guitar :D :D .

seefresh said:
I'd rather hear Christy sing, honestly. Much props to Shane, but I don't like the Pogues. I think turning traditional irish music into punk sounds terrible, and it kinda pisses me off a bit. Just my opinion, and everyone knows opinions are like a$$holes: everyone has one, must of em stink.

I love the way we have been able to pull the wool over the eyes of the world and package up folk music as 'irish folk', believe it or not they have a very active folk seen in the U.K. (you don't just throw all that tradation away).
I think what sells the notion of 'irish' folk music is the misty eyed memories of the green isle that immagrants took with them to the states.

Personally i find folk (esp irish) music too sentimental and saccarhine sweet, i prefer the other incarnation of folk music, (hillbilly) all that barn dancing, fiddles at the fore and stuff just has so much more energy.

delboy said:
I love the way we have been able to pull the wool over the eyes of the world and package up folk music as 'irish folk', believe it or not they have a very active folk seen in the U.K. (you don't just throw all that tradation away).
I think what sells the notion of 'irish' folk music is the misty eyed memories of the green isle that immagrants took with them to the states.

Personally i find folk (esp irish) music too sentimental and saccarhine sweet, i prefer the other incarnation of folk music, (hillbilly) all that barn dancing, fiddles at the fore and stuff just has so much more energy.

Well, they do push the irish part of their music pretty hard, I know they do other stuff as well and they play a hell of an acoustic set, but what they are famous for is their punkish music which a lot is done-up traditional irish songs.

I never said folk was all irish, folk is huge and branches many many ways and has a large part of its roots from Africa.

I love bluegrass as well, what you call hillbilly music, I grew up around the appalachians and that that's the home of the finest bluegrass you will hear. Some may argue Kentucky as well. I'm not irish, but I am proud of my Irish heritage, and classic, irish music is some of my favorite, and I just can't stand to hear all electrified.

ggggrrr to you all! shane rules..

cant be bothered to argue.. i love mucle relaxing pills.. :)

delboy said:
He has the perfect face for radio, turns me even looking at the man (you could stick him to the wall as we say here).
Christys not much better, the man is one oversized sweat gland he just exudes the stuff and its not like he's doing anything streneous, sitting on his hole strumming a guitar :D :D .

Dude, just read this post. Shouldn't talk about Christy that way. He is an amazingly talented singer/song-writer. He plays the guitar quite well too. Singing the way he does, being on stage, stage-lights, and being overweight can make anyone sweat profusely. He's very talented and his voice is awesome, and I enjoy watching him really get into his songs.

what do looks have to do with anything?

christy will never be as good a song writter as shane,
im sure evan christy would agree to that

but i admit he rules too..

some ppl here irish music an it goes right to the heart, makes the feel..somethin

some ppl here irish music and dnt care for it

seefresh said:
Well, they do push the irish part of their music pretty hard, I know they do other stuff as well and they play a hell of an acoustic set, but what they are famous for is their punkish music which a lot is done-up traditional irish songs.

I never said folk was all irish, folk is huge and branches many many ways and has a large part of its roots from Africa.

I love bluegrass as well, what you call hillbilly music, I grew up around the appalachians and that that's the home of the finest bluegrass you will hear. Some may argue Kentucky as well. I'm not irish, but I am proud of my Irish heritage, and classic, irish music is some of my favorite, and I just can't stand to hear all electrified.

I know you didn't personally state that all folk is 'irish' was just making the comment that a lot of people i know seem to think it is.
Actually i wouldn't call it hillbilly either just folk or barn dance music i used that term for the americans on the board (who are clearly in the majority).
I'll tell you what really kicks ass, a good ceili or scottish dancing session (actually knicked by the working classes from the ruling classes in france and england in the 18th century who used to call them quadrille dances but who quicky moved onto new fads).
These are real events that bring communities together something that the very misty eyed introspective packaged 'irish' folk music for which we seem famed is incapable of, part of the reason i feel its inferior to the above type of music.

seefresh said:
Dude, just read this post. Shouldn't talk about Christy that way. He is an amazingly talented singer/song-writer. He plays the guitar quite well too. Singing the way he does, being on stage, stage-lights, and being overweight can make anyone sweat profusely. He's very talented and his voice is awesome, and I enjoy watching him really get into his songs.

Ahhh joke (hence the :D :D ) if you can't have bit of gentle slagging (craic) on a pub talk section where can you??
Honestly though i feel his performances to be very strained and contrived (my opinion), and i just don't happen to like that style of mournful music as much as other types of folk music, but hey it sells!!.

XELA said:
what do looks have to do with anything?

Just trying to have a bit of craic with you, thought you might enjoy hearing a local irish colloquialism to describe someone of shanes appearance, i obviously didn't fully appreciate that he is a personal hero of yours (for whatever reason).

Be honest though could you eat your dinner sitting across from that visage i know i couldn't!!!

XELA said:
christy will never be as good a song writter as shane,
im sure evan christy would agree to that
Ye are all comparing apples with oranges. 2 totally different types of songwriter and performer.

Christy sings a fair few of Shaneos songs, even tells a story in 'Live at the Point' when he talks of drinking pints with him in Pucan, in county Tipperary (great little place by the way) where Shaneo hails from.

If you want to hear one of Christys best written songs, go hunt down 'The reel in the flickering light', and listen to the lyrics - absolutely class. They both write about Ireland and the Irish, but thats where it ends. Shaneo often writes about Irish Emmigration (Thousands are sailing), whereas Christy often writes little uplifting (often topical at the time) ditties (Joxer goes to Stuttgart, Don't forget your shovel, Delerium Tremens).

Christys a (predominintly) solo singer with a guitar, occasionally he'll have a small band or perform with Donal Lunny. Typically sings in the Irish Folk style. He also had alcohol problems and depression, and has almost stopped performing, except for a handful of shows a year. He used perform in Planxty, a well known trad band.

Shaneo is a [dr|p]unk rocker, with full on electric band behind him, with the odd exception such as Rainy night in soho, Fairytale etc.

Oh and Shaneo was on tv on friday night in Ireland and he was looking a hell of a lot better than of late, and was actually quite (relatively of course!) sober! I believe he's finally getting married too!

Don't get me wrong though - I love them both though, but they're each in a different class.

"Shaneo often writes about Irish Emmigration (Thousands are sailing)"

i didnt think shane wrote thousands are sailing? i thoght Phil Chevron wrote it..

"Be honest though could you eat your dinner sitting across from that visage i know i couldn't!!!"

yea, he is propper sexy...

Back