Shaken Carboy when dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey Miller

Reaction score
Brewing a 1gal batch of IPA. When I was putting my carboy back on the shelf, I almost dropped it and it got shaken pretty rough. I'm worried about oxidation. Am I screwed?

You are fine. Worst case, you severely oxidized the beer (which you didn't), it will take a while for the beer to actually absorb the O2. Right now the O2 is dissolved in the beer, and not affecting any flavors. Over time the beer will absorb the O2 and react to it. The result of the O2 in the beer will be a loss of hop flavor, and a stale taste (cardboard). The solution is to bottle and drink quickly before any of the effects of the O2 appear. With just 1 gallon, I suspect you will not have to worry about any bottles being left for several months.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm about to dry hop for the first time. Going to dry hop my 5th and final extract brew which is fermenting alongside my first all-grain brew...

I opened the 1lb bag of hops on all-grain brew day, then stuck them in a Ziploc and placed them in the freezer where they had been kept originally. When I dry hop with 0.5oz of hops, do I need to worry about sanitizing basically anything so long as I'm careful? Should I give the vessel I weight the hops in a sanitizing? Or do I need to even bother? I have a rough idea about how much 0.5oz is of the hops so perhaps I don't need to weigh and I can pour straight from the large hops bag into the fermenter...

Edit: actually just read that hops are anti-microbial...

Back