shadow boxes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I’m going to put my dispensing fridge against the wall and route the taps through the side of the fridge and the wall into another room where I will have a drip tray with a tall back-splash against the wall. When I was looking around I found the shadow boxes which are exactly what I was looking for when it comes to mount the taps through the wall. But why are they so expensive. I’m seeing prices of ~$80. This is ridiculous for something made from galvanized metal. (http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/drip-trays-pid-SB490L.html)

Has anyone made a cheaper solution? Maybe something from the AC section of the hardware store?

taps_through_wall.gif

Kai

I would just frame it with wood. Cut some galvinized sheet metal to size and seal it with silicon. Put a muffin fan in there to keep the air moving. That would probably cost you about $15 total. Unless you don't have tools, then it would be more difficult.

shadow_box.bmp

Have you checked out www.barproducts.com?

Stainless Steel Drip Tray DTS-419
Stainless Steel Drip Pan

This heavy duty drip tray is constructed of stainless steel and is easy to clean. Perfect for under the beer taps or soda fountain. Measurements are: 19 1/2" X 4" X 1".

Hmm...A vent reducer looks pretty similar. Check out the local hardware store's AC section. You'll find some sort of flashing the should do the trick. I take it PVC through the wall would restrict the airflow and not cool it enough?

Back