SG readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Brewed Northern Brewer Hefeweizen 1 week ago. I added blood orange peel at 15 min and it all went into carboy. I am not planning on moving into secondary.

A few questions about SG:

1. After how long in carboy should I begin taking SG readings?

2. I have read many times here that I should bottle only after a consistent reading three days in a row, this is what I should aim for right?

3. Lastly, I am trying to better understand what SG is...can someone break it down into simple terms for me? Right now I have a very vague understanding of what I'm even measuring or trying to achieve by "hitting the right SG"!

Thanx!

Re: point 3, SG is basically the density of the fluid. When you start, your wort is sugary water, which is is dense. After the yeast do their thing, they make alcohol which is much less dense than water. The mix of alcohol and now non-sugary water makes for a lighter density overall than what you started with. When you compare the OG to the FG, there's a formula (or online calculators) that will tell you how much of that sugar has been converted to alcohol and what you ABV is. Hitting the "right" SG means that the fermentable sugar has all been used up and you've got as much alcohol as you're going to get.

As for point 2, you've got it! (Unless it's really high)

Point 1, I usually wait until the bubbling stops and I can't see any swirling through the carboy sides, or two weeks, whichever comes first. Sometimes longer depending on the style. Happy brewin'!

Addendum to point 3:
Your hydrometer is really just a calibrated "boat". It "floats" high in a high density liquid and low in low density liquid.
Pez.

Back