SG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjtabares

Reaction score
I brewed a Imperial Chocolate Coffee Stout 2 weeks ago, it was a kit I bought from a website. I did not make a starter, I didn't know what one was until i joined this site and the instructions did not say anything about one. The og was 1.09-1.095, I wrote it down some where but i cant find it right now. I left it in the primary for 1 week then moved it into the secondary where it has been since then. I just tested the sg and it is at 1.028 the kit said to keep it in the secondary for another 3 weeks. I have not seen many bubble in the air trap and was wondering if the sg will get down to the 1.017-1.022 the kit says it should get to? If fermentation has halted should I do anything?

Thank You
Christopher

You really wanted to leave in the primary fermenter for at least another week. Also when dealing with such a high gravity beer a starter is usually necessary. I would take another hydrometer reading in a week. I'm sure the beer didn't even get close to clearing out after only a week so there is probably a good amount of yeast still suspended in it. Getting down to 1.028 after 2 weeks is pretty good....it will probably drop a few more points in the next few weeks. 1.090 down to 1.025 is 8.8%ABV...not so bad....

It might. You got some decent attenuation depending on where you started at. So the gravity is probably going to stay where it is, which is just fine for starting at 1.090 to 1.095. Thats 68-70% attenuation, and 75 is what most estimated are based on. Seeing as you didn't make a starter, I'd say that's pretty darn good.

As far as doing anything? Yeah. Fill you your primary, RDWHAHB, shop around for more primaries, etc. All those should keep you busy as you do nothing with your beer for another 3 weeks and it clears some and ages for you.

the instructions only told me to leave it in the primary for 3-5 days. I added powdered cocoa when I racked it to the secondary so there is still a good amount of stuff suspended in the beer if that would matter. Should I cold crash the beer at the end of the 3 weeks? I was also thinking of splitting the brew in 1/2 and adding milk sugar to it, would this work if i did it before bottling?

It's just weird that the instructions would tell you to rack after 3-5 days......no point in that. I always leave my beers in my primary for 2 weeks....this gives the yeast time to clean up after themselves and then fall to the bottom of the bucket/carboy. If that doesn't clear it up a week in the cooler at 37 degrees will make all the remaining yeast fall out....I rarely use a secondary anymore. It seems to be a wasted step IMHO.
Milk sugar won't ferment so adding it in your secondary should be fine. I think you will have to boil it first in a little bit of H2O to make sure it's completely dissolved.

How much sugar would one use to carbonate a stout in bottles? And how long will ittake to carbonate this beer? I was reading that it takes longer to carbonate a stout is this due to high ABV or something else in a stout?

Google around for a priming sugar calculator. Or use the one on the link in my signature.

If your beer is 70 degrees, 5 gallons, and you want 2.0 volumes of CO2 saturation (standard for a stout) you would use about 3.3 ounces (priming sugar is by weight) of corn sugar.

Bigger beers can take longer to carb. But they carb. Its almost impossible for them not to.

Ty very much. Just found this list of different co2 levels in different beer styles.

-------------------------------------------
Beer style Volumes CO2
British-style ales 1.5 - 2.0
Porter, stout 1.7 - 2.3
Belgian ales 1.9 - 2.4
European lagers 2.2 - 2.7
American ales & lagers 2.2 - 2.7
Lambic 2.4 - 2.8
Fruit lambic 3.0 - 4.5
German wheat beer 3.3 - 4.5

I've never used milk sugar. I don't know what it is, but an earlier poster said it was non-fermentable. If that is the case, I don't think you want to use it.

Finishing at 1.028 (or close to it), the beer will be sweet enough. You probably don't want to sweeten it any more.

It also seems you want to prime with milk sugar. If it is non-fermentable, it will not carb.

Use table sugar. 2/3rds cup for 5 gallons is the standard amount. Or use a priming calculator and figure out the correct amount for your particular style.

Higher strength beers will take longer to carb.

Don't cold crash until you are sure it's done fermenting as you will be dropping a large amout of the yeast out of suspension (there will still be plenty left to carb the beer).

The milk sugar is what is used to make a milk stout. I am thinking of making half of the batch a chocolate coffee cream stout, and the other half just a regular chocolate coffee stout.

It's just weird that the instructions would tell you to rack after 3-5 days......no point in that. I always leave my beers in my primary for 2 weeks....this gives the yeast time to clean up after themselves and then fall to the bottom of the bucket/carboy. If that doesn't clear it up a week in the cooler at 37 degrees will make all the remaining yeast fall out....I rarely use a secondary anymore. It seems to be a wasted step IMHO.
Milk sugar won't ferment so adding it in your secondary should be fine. I think you will have to boil it first in a little bit of H2O to make sure it's completely dissolved.

What do I look for to see if the beer cleared up? This beer is pitch black I can't see if there is anything in suspension.

I agree with leaving the milk sugar out of this batch. Your beer sounds complex enough. And if you racked it to secondary before fermentation was totally complete (quite likely, sorry), there will already be enough sweetness with the unfermented sugars.

Ok I tested again today and it is down to 1.025 and I am guessing that is where it is goi going to stay. Not bad I guess for not using a starter.

Back