Setting up a brand new keg and faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield43

Reaction score
The last parts I am waiting for (hopefully) should get here tomorrow.
So if The Good Lord is willin' and the creek don't rise I should be able to set up my keg tomorrow.
Everything is brand new.
Can I just set it up and pump some sanitizer through it?
Or would it be better to take the keg and faucet apart and wash them in home made PBW?

I washed mine to convince myself there was no residual oil from the machining/manufacturing process. It's probably ok to skip and just sanitize, but it made me feel better and really isn't much work.

I may split the difference and pump some PBW through it but not disassemble it all the way.

I would take the time to use some kind of cleanser on any new assemblies - that includes faucets, couplers (for sankes), beer shanks and kegs.
Machine oils taste like crap and I would not want my beer to be tainted...

Cheers!
True...the only thing in life that should be tainted are ex-wives...or is that jaded...:cool:

The last parts I am waiting for (hopefully) should get here tomorrow.
So if The Good Lord is willin' and the creek don't rise I should be able to set up my keg tomorrow.
Everything is brand new.
Can I just set it up and pump some sanitizer through it?
Or would it be better to take the keg and faucet apart and wash them in home made PBW?
Hedge your bets and clean beforehand.
If you do, you will enjoy the cleaning with all that shiny new fun gear!! Giddy with excitement!

If you don't, and you get skuny off flavors, you will have to dump 5 gallons of beer. Then do all that cleaning anways- but you'll be in a foul mood!

My $0.02

Actual experience ?

Yes - except for the literal tasting part. I neglected to clean my beer shanks - like, at all - back when I built my first keezer, and the first pour brought both oil and metal bits with the beer. Luckily only had one keg connected to get started, but still had to take the tower apart to really clean all six shanks plus the one contaminated faucet. Pita all around and an inauspicious entry to kegging.

Don't do that ;)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back