Setting a dual stage controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but im used to single stage controllers and i want to get some advice from yall before i screw something up... so i have a chest freezer and a williams heating pad i pitched @64 and i want to keep it at 64 for a few days i set the C1 to 64 with a 1 differential and the H2 at 63 with a 1 differential..i sure i need to tweak this some can somebody explain how i should go about setting this to sustain a steady temp.

I have an STC-1000 dual stage and set the spread between temps 3degrees otherwise I get cycling on and off

That's what I do for mine but mine is also set to celcius (shouldn't make a difference). You might want to try 2⁰ apart and see if it cycles between hot and cold, if it doesn't then that is fine.

The controller should chill the fridge 1⁰ below the upper setpoint when cool is triggered and
1⁰ above the lower setpoint when heat is triggered.

Some controllers allow finer control and if that is the case with yours you could set the temps closer together:rock:

That's what I do for mine but mine is also set to celcius (shouldn't make a difference). You might want to try 2⁰ apart and see if it cycles between hot and cold, if it doesn't then that is fine.

The controller should chill the fridge 1⁰ below the upper setpoint when cool is triggered and
1⁰ above the lower setpoint when heat is triggered.

Some controllers allow finer control and if that is the case with yours you could set the temps closer together:rock:
Right on thanks dude

No problem.. are you also using an STC-1000? Also what are you using as a heater in the chest freezer?

Are you going to control based on temperature of the freezer or temp of the beer?

If controlling based on beer temp are you using thermowell or taping probe to fermentor with insulation over?

These differences can matter when thinking about how to program your controller. If you are controlling from the beer you can likely use a smaller differential than if you are controlling from temp of air in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back