Session Saison, recipe inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
Found this recipe here but can't find it again. Yall mind looking it over and see if its ready to go??

6.5# Pilsner 2 Row
1.65# White Wheat
.66# Melanoiden Malt
.03# Carafa II

.5oz Magnum @60min
.5oz Williamette @10min
.75oz Williamette @0min
.75 Hallertauer @0min

Belgian Saison I WLP565

I'd nix the specialty malts, if you want to stay in line with the style. What's your thought behind including them? I'd imagine they would work against dryness, a quality you really want in a Saison.
Also, what mashing schedule are you aiming for?

I assume the carafa is just for some color. I wouldn't bother but hell its your call. I like a little malty character in my saisons but 2/3 lbs is a lot of melanoidin malt. Maybe cut that down to 1/4lbs.

Make sure you mash low. 148 is my usual unless I'm using brett.

Make sure to start fermentation around 68 or even lower. Then let I rip up into the 80s.

dannypo said:
I assume the carafa is just for some color. I wouldn't bother but hell its your call. I like a little malty character in my saisons but 2/3 lbs is a lot of melanoidin malt. Maybe cut that down to 1/4lbs.

Make sure you mash low. 148 is my usual unless I'm using brett.

Make sure to start fermentation around 68 or even lower. Then let I rip up into the 80s.

I'll second the low mash temp.148 is exactly where I sit. Really helps drive attenuation.

This is just one I found in the books here on the site with good reviews, I just can't find it again. Do you guys have a solid Saison y'all reach for? I've got a homebrew competition in November that I am brewing for.

Right now I have a kolsch and about to brew a stout, so I want something a little different and "simple". I don't want any outrageous beers.

I would keep it simple and remove the melanoidin malt; it's not really in style; the best Saison i'Ve tried were all very dry (under 1.008) unless you are doing a high ABV Saison then you may want to keep a bit of residual sugar to balance. Just my humble opinion. I Like my Saison dry and mash at 149-150

I've got two in my dropdown. The original has Strisselspalt and Styrian Golding, #2 has Belma and Strisselspalt. Both are delicious, but #1 is more traditional.

#1 is Pils and Munich, #2 is Maris Otter. Both have a solid malt backbone and body without and don't feel as light as they are.

Both use Wyeast 3711 French Saison.

For a session saison mash a little higher than you would a regular strength saison. My #2 was mashed at 156-158 and finished at 1.006. I just rebrewed it at 154 with Belle Saison and it finished at 1.001. That said, 3711 and Belle Saison both still give good body and mouthfeel, even with such high attenuation.

5 lbs. German Pils
6 lbs. US Pils
(All the Pilsner I happened to have on hand)
1.5 lbs. Red wheat malt
Sacch rest @ 148 for 75 mins
60 min boil
.5 oz Warrior @ 60
1.5 oz Saaz @ 10
1.5 oz Saaz @ 0
OG1055
FG 1005
WY3711
Started fermentation in high 60's for 36 hrs.
Then put it in a hot garage where temps get into the high 80's.

Enjoying this one very much. Want to try it with the Belgian strain.

1.055 to 1.005 isn't really a "session" saison. If 6.7% ABV is session for you, you've got a far better liver than me! :drunk:

Also, do you find it necessary to ramp up the 3711? It's always attenuated fully under 75 degrees in my beers while still giving good fruit and spice typical of a saison.

Who says you can't session a 6+% beers :D

I have had 3711 stall out at around 1030 in the past (granted it was early spring and ambient temps in my house sometimes dipped below 68 at night). A boost to 78-80 (via fermwrap and a temp regulator) helped finish it out. I found really great spice character, which I really appreciate in a Saison. Since then, I aim high.

I take advantage of a warm garage (it's a separate structure from my house, gets direct sun all day and stays nice and toasty in the summer here in NY). But there is absolutely temperature fluctuation throughout the day and night. I have a goal of trying to brew 3-4 batches over the course of the summer to see what kinds of flavors emerge as the season progresses.

Who says you can't session a 6+% beers :D
Admittedly I could "session" Duvel. I just wouldn't be able to walk after that.

I have had 3711 stall out at around 1030 in the past (granted it was early spring and ambient temps in my house sometimes dipped below 68 at night).
Wow, really? I think the recommended range is something like 68-75, so I wonder how far below 68 it went. I've read that above 75 it can start throwing off weird flavors, but clearly that hasn't been your experience. Way to make me question my favorite yeast! :drunk:

Back