'Session' IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Contradiction of terms, oxymoronic. I go it.

That being said, Id like to try a lower ABV beer with some real hop punch. Everything I've read suggest some adjuncts & higher mash temps coupled with hop bursting.

Im considering switching in some aromatic or victory/biscuit for some or all of the crystal. I might need some rice hulls given the percentage of oats/wheat in the mash. The hops are what I have in bulk and wont regret using if this turns tasting like hop water.

Id appreciate any criticism.

This is my first attempt. Og is around 141 with 38 IBUs.

5.5 lbs 2row
1 lb munich
1 lb flaked oats
.5 lb flaked wheat or wheat malt
c10 .25 lbs
c40 .25 lb

1 oz cascade FWH
2 oz cascade 10
1 oz cascade 5
1 oz cascade 0
1 oz cascade dryhop
1 oz centenntial dryhop

Mashed 156
US05

My last attempt rocked, been trying to get a decent 5% IPA for a while.

9 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb light Munich
1/4 lb each British crystal 65 and Golden naked oats

My hops were Apollo and Amarillo mostly late additions OG 1.049, 41 Rager IBUs. I mashed at 155f

It's somewhere around 4.9%

fwiw and ymmv etc

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

Using adjuncts like the flaked grains goes a long way to giving these small beers mouthfeel and character. Personnaly, I'd add some dextrin malt and mash lower, instead of mashing high. Its a safer avenue to residual body ime.

Looks like a tasty recipe! Have fun.

My local IPA (the decades and decades old Brains IPA) is 3.4% ABV. Greene King IPA is 3.6% ABV. Maybe not what you call an IPA.

Back