Session IPA Recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed the following in a Zymatic the other day. I just wanted to try something different. The Hallertau, Goldings and yeast were already on hand, and the Amarillo was an impulse buy at the LHBS. I also just kind of wanted to play around and see what this combo tasted like. :)

If you plug the numbers into Beersmith the IBUs look WAY high. The picobrew recipe builder gave an IBU number of 63, so hopefully that is correct lol.

I'm still trying to actually hit a target OG number on the Zymatic, so this was originally intended to be an IPA, but I'm not overly concerned and am just calling it a session IPA. The picobrew recipe builder thought I was going to have an OG of 1.066, which is why I wanted an IBU number in the 60s. Had I planned on this being a session strength beer, I would have put the Amarillo as the five minute addition instead, and reduced that 60 minute addition significantly. :(

OG (measured) - 1.051
IBU - 63
SRM - 7
Batch size - 2.75 gallons

Grain -
American Pale Malt - 5 lb
Victory - 1 lb
Crystal 40 - .25 lb
Acid Malt - .125 lb

Hops -
Hallertau - 1.3 oz - 60 minutes
Amarillo - 1 oz - 10 minutes
Goldings - 1 oz - 7 minutes
Hallertau - 1 oz - 5 minutes

Yeast - Wyeast 1028

I'd put something in at 20 and save goldings and hallertaud for flamout and dry hop with Amarillo.

That said, 60 IBU's isn't crazy if theirs enough body in the beer. Maybe throw some wheat in there or increase mash temperature.

Back