Serviceberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pineshire

Reaction score
Just became a member
Hello!
Thoroughly enjoying making wine!
Pretty much trying everything I can grow. I’m trying a Serviceberry batch this summer. Anyone have luck with it?

Yes, it's an excellent wine! I'll have to warn you though, make a lot of it. I look forward to making some more in a few more weeks. I typically use 71b for yeast.

I’m a Red Star fan. Going with Premier Cuvée. Going heavy on the Serviceberries. That is if the birds left me any! Harvesting today.

I’m a use what I have in my freezer type fermenter so I will develop a recipe after I see what the birds will leave me. I like a sweet wine so I go heavy on the sugar up front. SpGr usually around 1.0 to 1.1
I also tend to be aggressive with the mashing of the fruit and massage the fermentation bag several times during the primary phase. I’m getting a much better fruit forward flavor that way. Just started this whole adventure so my oldest batch has only been in the bottle for 18 months.

Massaging the bag for more flavor... there's a concept!
I get the most out of my fruit by freezing, then steeping and stirring in a small amount of water at 160F for 15min, then pectic enzymes after its cooled off.
Serviceberry wine has become a necessity in my inventory, and I hope you enjoy it as well.

I’m a use what I have in my freezer type fermenter so I will develop a recipe after I see what the birds will leave me. I like a sweet wine so I go
I get the most out of my fruit by freezing, then steeping and stirring in a small amount of water at 160F for 15min, then pectic enzymes after its cooled off.
Serviceberry wine has become a necessity in my inventory, and I hope you enjoy it as well.

heavy on the sugar up front. SpGr usually around 1.0 to 1.1
I also tend to be aggressive with the mashing of the fruit and massage the fermentation bag several times during the primary phase. I’m getting a much better fruit forward flavor that way. Just started this whole adventure so my oldest batch has only been in the bottle for 18 months.
Just got done harvesting. Looks like the birds took a large share of my Serviceberries this year. What I have will have to live in my freezer till I add more next year.

That's a shame! Do you have any places that you could go foraging for them?

My restriction is time. I’m afraid the birds will have eaten all of them available in Wisconsin by the time I have another day off work. Cedar Waxwings hang out in large flocks. They were picking faster than I could yesterday.

Our spring was terrible for pollinating. Our serviceberries produced four fruits, so I left them for the birds. Glad you got some to freeze.

What I was able to harvest isn’t even close to what I would need so I will add to them next season. I’m enjoying a bumper crop of blackcaps tho Harvesting my 3rd gallon!

I love the taste of serviceberries but the birds and squirrels in the neighborhood strongly feel the same way. By the time the fruit reaches peak ripeness the animals have consumed half or more of what was on the tree in my backyard. I can usually get rid of the birds but the squirrels try to fight me to protect their food source.

I'm a SoCal boy, so I have no clue what a serviceberry is; but I have the same problem with my grapevines. I saw on YouTube someone enclosing the almost ripe bunches in the plastic clamshells from the grocery store. So far, I have only lost the grapes that were not in clamshells, and they have room to breathe and ripen. Would this work for you, or am I completely off-base since I have no idea what the fruit looks like?

I'm a SoCal boy, so I have no clue what a serviceberry is; but I have the same problem with my grapevines. I saw on YouTube someone enclosing the almost ripe bunches in the plastic clamshells from the grocery store. So far, I have only lost the grapes that were not in clamshells, and they have room to breathe and ripen. Would this work for you, or am I completely off-base since I have no idea what the fruit looks like?

That's an interesting idea. The fruit grow in clumps at the tips of branches sort of like grapevines so they could be encased. At least in my neighborhood the squirrels are not much deterred by plastic. One chewed through the lid of my recycle bin to get a snack. It's about a quarter inch thick plastic. I suspect they would make quick work of the plastic clamshells.

Back