Self priming pump for whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boobajoob

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 10.5 foundry and am into brewing hoppy beers. I'm constantly fighting my anvil pump when transferring to my fermentor as it would clog with some hop/protein debris. Previously I'd whirlpool my wort while cooling then stop the whirlpool to use my pump for filling the fermenator but some always settles out once I kill the whirlpool. I'm looking to keep the whirlpool going while I'm transfering to my fermentor.

I'm looking for a pump I can use to pull wort out (drop a tube from the top of the kettle into the wort), so it pulls up from the kettle, thru the pump, then into the fermentor. Anyone have a pump recommendation for this? Most I've seen need to be primed or can't pull wort upward.

Thanks!

Look for a diaphragm pump that is rated to at least 212°F (100°C) working temp, food safe, and 1 - 2 gal/min max flow rate (diaphragm pumps don't like to be run much below rated flow - unlike impeller pumps.) Temp rating is going to be the hardest criteria to meet.

Brew on :mug:

Helps to move the pump well below the outlet of your pot....like onto the floor.
My brew kettle is almost 30" above my pump. Helps a lot with priming!
I've been pondering the air outlet too to get air out of a recirc system...sometimes the air bubble gets stuck in the pump.

Latest posts

Back