Selecting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to do my first all-grain batch in the next few weeks and decided to go with a Sip of Sunshine clone recipe. It's still relatively warm in my area and am hesitant to go with liquid yeast since it may spoil during shipping. Does yeast make that much of a difference in the taste? If I go dry instead of wet, will it be a noticeable difference?

Here's the kit: Lawson's Sip of Sunshine IPA Clone Kit (All Grain)

I am thinking doing one of the two:
  1. Buy dry yeast along with the beer kit
  2. Buy the kit without yeast, and buy liquid yeast at my local brew shop. I also thought about piecing this kit together from my local brew shop but figured it would be a lot easier to order it already combined.

Yeast does make a difference in taste. That said, for an IPA you’re looking for yeast to play more of a supporting role in any case, and you don’t want a yeast that puts out strong flavors. Also, dry yeasts are very good nowadays; you might get a little more variety and nuance given the range of liquid yeasts available, but I wouldn’t say liquid was better than dry, really at all. I like US-05 in an IPA. That looks to be their first choice. I’d grab a pack and not worry about it at all.

Maybe there's a 3rd option:

3. (continue to) build a relationship with your local brew hop.
Yeah, I've been in there before (years ago in my extract days) and the owner is cool. But you can't go inside due to covid, you need to place your order ahead of time and they only do curbside. I wish I could go in, look around, and discuss with him what I am doing. Maybe I will give him a call tomorrow and see if he has any clone recipes available. Or if I can piece together what the sip of sunshine recipe includes. Homebrewing Products in Trenton, NJ

This brew shop is 2 minutes from my job, which is 60 minutes from my house, so it's convenient to go there on days that I go to the office. Aside from this shop, other shops are over an hour away.

Hard to go wrong with us-05. The packets last a long time when store correctly and are about half the price of a liquid yeast package.

And unlike liquid yeast, dry does not need a starter unless you are making a very heavy beer or making more than 5 gal.

Also, piggybacking on the 'supporting your local homebrew shop" callout. They are hurting right now, and mine just closed due to lack of support. Early on it is easy to just see a slightly higher price tag and the inconvenience of having to actually go to the store...but they can often get you things that some online retailers can't, and it may be fresher or better handled. They are invaluable to the community!

Thanks guys, I'll go with dry yeast

I'm all for supporting the shop but his hours are limited and do not align with my work days. I don't want to drive 2 hours total for something I can order for delivery.

US-05 is a solid choice, but I'd advocate for BRY-97 if your looking for that fruity, juicy character you get from biotransformation. :drunk:

I have brewed it twice and phenomenal both times. Probably the best IPA recipe I have brewed out of about 20. It’s been awhile since I have had Sip but from what I recall it’s pretty close. I’m actually brewing this for the 3rd time tomorrow and ain’t changing anything in this recipe and that is should say a lot, lol.

I also treat my water and go heavier on the sulfate to Chloride ratio 150/75.

I also thought about piecing this kit together from my local brew shop but figured it would be a lot easier to order it already combined.
Any homebrew shop worth their salt should be able to provide those ingredients. But there may be some (close) substitutions such as for these, which is no big deal as they're small amounts:

0.25 lbs CaraMunich
0.25 lbs CaraRed

Although the hops aren't specified, it's simple, they are all Citra. ;)

Here's the clone recipe/thread in our recipe database:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lawsons-finest-sip-of-sunshine-clone.496952/
If you're serious about brewing and IPAs, you may as well order hops directly from outfits such as HopsDirect or YVH. When stored for future use, keep em frozen, that's important.
Citra (2020 harvest) is on sale this weekend at YVH:
https://yakimavalleyhops.com/produc...NO6ZdiRAGASUToIlXL8B8crvn8VB7bO47snnmm.VQEefX
Although it's nice to support a local homebrew shop, hops tend to have a high markup. It's OK for many low hopped recipes, but can be a budget killer for IPAs and NEIPAs, unless they sell it to you for a reasonable price in pounds or half pounds, not mere ounces. I remember paying $2.50-3.50 an ounce at the brew shop, 10 years ago.

By the way, how did your (unintended) extract brew turn out?

Last edited:
FYI- You don’t have to use Carared.

Attachments

• 70B34993-5DF0-4B73-AE8B-357FECB3C84A.jpeg
    70B34993-5DF0-4B73-AE8B-357FECB3C84A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back