Sel priming pumps dor boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christian86

Reaction score
Hi there, its been a while that im looking for a pump that could suck the wort whila resisting boil temperature, food grade,and also chemichal resistance... Saw Picobrew working and this pump came to my mind.
Maybe I could buy an average diaphragm pump and change the parts so tey could become food grade and temp resistant
Maybe those automatic brew systems use air pressure to prime a regularmagnetic pump so it can suck the wort

Also Though about peristaltic,but they average flow speed are way too slow (like half hour to fill a cup)

So, any thoughs? are there another type od pump for this?

thank you all

Welcome to the forums on HBT, @christian86 :mug:

I would question the viability of replacing diaphragms - if you've ever held a pump diaphragm in your hands you'd immediately realize coming up with your own replacement would be a daunting task.

Pressurizing a kettle to assist a pump sounds interesting - never read of that technique before. Also sounds challenging.

I guess I'm left wondering: what problem is being solved in this pursuit?
I've been running a pair of typical mag-pumps (March 815pl's, fwiw) for forever and they don't leave anything behind that the dip tubes can reach...

Cheers!

Most homebrew type pumps will meet your need for temperature.

I have to ask, why are you pumping during an active boil?

yeah, problably not the best idea try to substitute the pump parts, I never had one in jands, I'm going to see how they work exactly

for the pressurized, it could be atmosphere air, knowing it is for boiling purpose, But if the pump could do all by itself it would be a charm!

crazy thinking, but maybe even an inline filtering for the trub (knowing this would be more complicated though...)

Thinking on boiling the wort inside the keg, for sanitized purpose and convenience. The ideia was something like the pico brew do (or what i think it does) pump the wort from the keg, make the wort pass through a kettle with a heat element, so steam and pressure could come out, and maybe put a ho spider for hops, then the wort could come back to the keg through gravity. when boil reach the end, then just unplug the keg valve and let it cool, for a small volume keg, sit the keg on a ice bucket, if bigger volumes maybe a counterflow chiller using the same diaphragm pump, or no-chill...
also thinking on running all thes with arduino or pi

for these experiment the diaphragm pumo heat resistant is essential, and if it was chemical resistant too, I could run a alkaline detergent later for cleaning purpose

gonna keep looking, thanks anyway. Any further tip would welcome too

Attachments

• pump1.png
    pump1.png
    373.4 KB · Views: 1
  • pump2.png
    pump2.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
Back