seems weird? Help please, No krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus G

Martha’s Hopyard extract-Great Fermentations
Reaction score
hello everyone,

My milkshake ipa is about 36 hours after pitching yeast. Yesterday AM there was no activity in airlock so I did my normal shake a few times. It started a ton of activity in airlock yesterday afternoon.

It is still going very hard (bubbles every second or two max). In a 60 degree basement in dark.

There are bubbles on surface the pop every now and then (from small to quarter or so sized).

There is no krausen really and it has. I marks in side of carboy where krausen raised. Like I said it is bubbling hard and there may be a super thin layer if any but no foam like I am used to.

There seems to be a yeast cake at the bottom it looks like.

I pitched two unhydrated packs of
Safale US 05

I normally use liquid yeast.

I saw another post on here about US 05 looking kinda similar before. What do you guys think? This is my 12th or so batch and never had this before. My cleaning and sanitation should be very high that’s one thing I’m super picky about.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 88
Maybe I should shake again to kick that yeast cake up?

Take a sample, if gravity has dropped, you have (or had) fermentation. Don't rely on airlock activity and I would probably suggest you not shake the fermentor anymore until you know whether you've had any fermentation

Ok thank you. I’ll check it tonight. I know people say not to judge off of airlock activity but in my experience it does go hand in hand at least in all of my batches so far.

Thanks again!

Yea, airlock activity is not a failproof indicator, but it's a pretty damn good one nonetheless. Aside from temperature fluctuations, not much is likely to affect it other than fermentation.

Thanks everyone for the help. It’s around 1.0512-1.052 and started at 1.070 so it is going! Keep in mind I did add .6 lb of lactose in boil to achieve 1.070.

Still got the yeast that is adding to it but it is very hazy and the airlock is going crazier than I’ve seen except last batch where I used glucoamylase. I’m fact I kinda wondered if it carried over but I cleaned fermenter after last brew and before this one along with sani of course.

I dry hopped 1.25 oz citra, 1 oz mosaic.

I’ll dry hop again about 5 days before bottling after fruit.

Attachments

• 137406D7-F3E2-44CD-8D1E-92CFFCB08EEA.jpeg
    137406D7-F3E2-44CD-8D1E-92CFFCB08EEA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Airlock activity and krausen are indications of fermentation, but lack of airlock activity and lack of krausen are not necessarily indications of lack of activity.

The lactose isn't fermentable, so your final gravity won't drop as low as you might expect with an original gravity of 1.070.

A lot of krausen showed up overnight as well!

Back