Seeking advice from Lager brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolvinMaine

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am diving into Lagers. My experience has been exclusively with ales so far, but I finally have the equipment to keep a cool constant temp (ie a keezer) so i am giving this a try. My first attempt is a Munich Dunkel, using WLP 838 yeast. OG was 1.050. It has been in primary for 8 days now at 50F, and I just took a reading, and it is down to 1.020. I am expecting an end point around 1.012ish. I read I am supposed to let this warm up for a diacetyl rest when I have about 1-2 degree Plato, which I am getting close too. My ambient temp in the basement hovers around 60F this time of year, but I have a "warm room" (ie furnace room) that hovers around 72F.

So, here are the questions.

1) when should I move this out for diacetyl rest?
2) at what temp should I look to do diacetyl rest? 60F ok or warmer?
3) How long to do the diacetyl rest?
4) planning on Lagering in a cony keg. Do I have to rig an airlock, or can I just release pressure twice a day?
5) Planning on 5 weeks of lagering.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I have been searching the site, but there seems to be various opinions on some of these issues, so I figured I would ask directly.

Also, I tried the hydrometer sample today, and the sulfur smell was pretty strong. I know lager yeasts do this, and I believe this strain is particularly known for this. Is this something that gets "blown off" when you raise the temp during diacetyl, is it the lagering that gets rid of it, or am I stuck with the lovely sulfur aroma. I was planning on washing and reusing this a few times this winter, but wanted to get some guidance before I just kept making more brimstone beers. Thanks!

Back