Seeking advice (ferm chamber)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk261

Reaction score
Is a chest freezer really the way to go?

I started to build a cabinet around my mini fridge, but then doubted its ability to keep 3 carboys cool enough, so i took it apart. Then, I just spent Saturday afternoon building a chamber on wheels that I was planning to put a window unit in...but the thing is a monstrosity.

So, again, I ask...is a chest freezer with temp control the most compact, aesthetic and efficient way to go?

The question you need to ask is how much will I be fermenting at any given time. If it will fit into a chest freezer, it is the easiest wat to go. I have one and fit 3 fermenters into it. That works for me. The only problem I have is not having a place to lager as well. If you need more space, certainly consider building something.
You can always start with the freezer, if you need more space, deconstruct the freezer to build the larger chamber.

I appreciate the input. I think that's the direction I'll head...a temp controlled chest freezer. No way would I have been able to keep the monstrosity I was building over the weekend inside the house lol

Is a chest freezer really the way to go?

I started to build a cabinet around my mini fridge, but then doubted its ability to keep 3 carboys cool enough, so i took it apart. Then, I just spent Saturday afternoon building a chamber on wheels that I was planning to put a window unit in...but the thing is a monstrosity.

So, again, I ask...is a chest freezer with temp control the most compact, aesthetic and efficient way to go?

I think you have realized what most people don't take into account: when you factor in your time (that could be spent doing something else), material costs and the resulting functionality; buying a chest freezer is the best bet.

Back