Sediment In the Boil Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all! Brand new to home brewing, so I'm sure this a dumb question, but...

I am brewing a Brewer's Best American Amber Ale kit, and as I was transferring it to the primary I noticed sediment in the bottom of the pot. Do I transfer this to the primary as well, or do I dump it?

Thanks in advance from a newbie....

I am brewing a Brewer's Best American Amber Ale kit, and as I was transferring it to the primary I noticed sediment in the bottom of the pot. Do I transfer this to the primary as well, or do I dump it?

While some brewers still use a secondary fermenter, most recipes do not require it. Leave it in the primary until you're ready to package your finished beer.

Yeah, Brewer's Best instruction sheets still recommend transferring to a secondary. You can safely ignore that. First few beers I ever made were BB kits. I followed the instructions because, well, they were the instructions after all. The beers all turned out fine.

Yeah, Brewer's Best instruction sheets still recommend transferring to a secondary. You can safely ignore that. First few beers I ever made were BB kits. I followed the instructions because, well, they were the instructions after all. The beers all turned out fine.
Yeah, the sheets all say 'secondary', but you guys have confidently convinced me to skip that step.

I used a secondary once. To this day, that is still my worst beer. Though admittedly I had other issues too.

As to the original question about sediment in the boil kettle, it depends on if it's loose fluffy sediment holding on to a lot of wort or if it's tightly compacted sediment.

Loose and full of wort sediment goes into the FV where it will just become trub on the bottom given enough time.

I have in the past tried to filter and strain it, but hop matter and other stuff effectively plug up all but the coarsest of strainer for me.

Filtering will definitely require a pump to force the wort through it with pressure unless you are willing to wait a long time for it to drip, drip, drip.

Since you are new to brewing, I will guess that you are a ways off from harvesting yeast.

So I would just dump it all in. It will all settle out at the end when you are ready to bottle.

What is in that sediment is trub and wort. Wort is future beer so get it all in the fermenter. Once fermentation is done and you are bottling, that is really the only time you need to leave any "sediment" behind.

Back