Sediment in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackthorn

Reaction score
I have noticed that some of my batches have sediment in bottles others dont. Ive started to use a filter sock since but is this down to anything i am doin?
Do i need to leave in secondary for longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sediment is ok. What you are doing when you bottle is basically a mini-ferment. So you will have some yeast settling on the bottom of your bottles. Have you ever bought a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? There is compacted sediment on the bottom of their bottles.

Yea i know what you are saying but it makes the cider look unclear when pouring which is a shame! I know im being picky!

Ahhh that is a good idea. Once i get my recipe and methods to perfection (if i ever do) i will buy a keg and move onto that!
Do you have a plastic keg? And are they any good?
Do you reccommend keg with carbonation valve?

Plastic kegs are starting be become available and soon may be the only way homebrewers keg things. At the moment, however, the keg of choice is the Corney. They're easy to work with, readily available, and reasonably priced. Sanke kegs are what is mostly used commercially but they cost more and are harder to clean. The reason the commercial guys use them is because they're tougher and are easier to clean IF you have the big industrial washing setups.

Right now the only plastic kegs that have made it big time are commercial, with the Sanke fittings, and intended for one time use. There is one I've seen that's targeted at homebrewers, but it's not much cheaper than a corney after you factor in the fittings and its just a rebranded version of those one time use kegs. They don't specify the expected lifetime. Personally, I'm sticking with my cornies.

How do you bottle from keg without sediment? Syphon?

Back