Sediment in bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I recently Just all my beer and I'm wondering if some sediment I the bottles is normal or harmful? It is octoberfest brew.

If you didn't have sediment in your bottles, then it would be a problem!!

So in other words, sediment is not only normal, it's appropriate. It usually means that your yeast have been multiplying and fermenting, which is a very good thing.

Just practice pouring them out slowly without disturbing the sediment and leave some behind in the bottle. You'll get pretty good at it after a while.

As above, with practice you should be able to pour it and leave all the sediment in about 1/4" (that's 6.35mm for almost everyone else on the planet) of delicious booze.

Personally I think that's a bit optimistic; 7mm max! ;)

This is why I let the beer have 3-7 days after FG is reached to settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. I get a little dusting of trub/yeast at the bottom of the bottles compacted after a week fridge time.

Back