Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I usually leave my brew in the primary fermenter for a week before siphoning it into the secondary. Is it ok to send the brew to the secondary early if the krausen falls before that, say 4 or 5 days?

Thanks!

mayday1019 said:
Hey Guys,

I usually leave my brew in the primary fermenter for a week before siphoning it into the secondary. Is it ok to send the brew to the secondary early if the krausen falls before that, say 4 or 5 days?

Thanks!

I have done two brews in my life and can answer this.

A Hydrometer reading is the only true way to determine whether fermentation has ended.

"A Hydrometer reading is the only true way to determine whether fermentation has ended." QFE

You don't want to transfer to secondary until your fermentation is FINISHED (i.e. target gravity has been reached)

jdd120 said:
I have done two brews in my life and can answer this.

A Hydrometer reading is the only true way to determine whether fermentation has ended.

if there was a way to rate posts with 5 stars, this reply would earn 6!

a tape measure is to a carpenter, what a hydrometer is to a brewer.

1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
3 weeks bottling

check hydro after each just to make sure yeast did it's thing.

I have rushed it a bit beore, because it obviously takes less than 3 weeks for fermentation to complete, but beer is always clearest and most stable when I do the 1,2,3 method.

Latest posts

Back