Secondary using same carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattsbay18

Reaction score
I'm on day 10 of fermenting in my primary and reached my final gravity. The beer is more cloudy than usual and I remembered that I did not add Irish moss to my brew kettle like I have in the past. To clear up the beer, I was wanting to use gelatin but I only have one carboy. Should I.....

1) Start my cold crash and dump the gelatin in the primary?

2) Rack beer to my bottling bucket, clean out the carboy then rack beer back to the cleaned carboy, add gelatin and cold crash?

3) Wait an extra week or two in order to let things settle down?

(Side note, I bottle my beer)

Typically, I would like to wait but I brewed this to bring my relatives some holiday cheer.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Matt

Start cold crash and dump gelatin directly in the carboy.

Racking to bottling bucket and back to carboy risks oxidation in a pretty big way, imo.

I'd say wait, but since you're on a tight timetable I'd go with the gelatin.

Cold crashing may cause your bottled beer to be flat for your upcoming party, so it's a risk. I recommend the gelatin.

Yea, no, it won't. I crash in primary all the time

Just be cautious 10 days may not be enough for fermentation to be complete make sure you get consistent gravity readings otherwise you might end up with bottle bombs

Cold crash it for a few days at 32-36F. As said, add some gelatin if needed. Secondaries are hardly needed, unless you want to bulk age for 2 months or longer or sometimes if you add fruit.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait a few more days to make sure I get consistent gravity reading then cold crash with gelatin.

Cheers

Back