Secondary time frame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaggard

Reaction score
So my first batch is a little unusual. It started in a bucket in my basement for about 4 days. When I went to get it ready to be put in the carboy, I noticed my basement was between 16-18 degrees Celsius. I brought it upstairs and took a specific gravity reading. Apparently the fermentation had not finished at such a low temp... so I let it sit in the primary for another week. I checked again and it had barely moved after that amount of time. So i let it sit abother week! Eventually i pitched more yeast, hoping that would help. While pitching the yeast, I immediately transfered it to my carboy (buddy at the beer store said this would be fine as the yeast would only do a little fermenting as the process seemed nearly complete.) My question, is now that my beer has spent 2 weeks in the primary, with 2 distinctly different Temps and 2 different yeast pitches, how long should it sit in the carboy before racking???

For many ale yeasts 18C (64.4) is the low limit, but will ferment and usually do so cleanly. After 5 days to a week it would be best to bring it into a warmer place to let it finish out. Say 21-23C (70-74F).

You should ignore the whole secondary thing. It does no good, except only in a few very specific applications. Secondaries are definitely an advanced technique, and need to be done correctly or it does more harm than good. IOW, leave your beer in the primary until ready to bottle! I wish the kit manufacturers reviewed their recipe instructions and removed the "rack to secondary after xx days" clauses. It's total BS! It sells more equipment, while it makes bad beer.

Pitching more yeast was unnecessary, it won't do a thing. The yeast is not dead, it became sluggish or went dormant (it's too cold). It needs to be warmed up and gently roused, brought back into suspension. Place in a warmer area and allowed to warm up a bit, then use a long brewing spoon to stir it up gently. If in a carboy, use the back end of that spoon, or gently swirl the carboy. If the carboy is glass be careful not to crack it. Place on a soft surface, like a piece of rug.

Proper kit instructions should read something like this:
  • Leave the beer in the bucket (or carboy) for 1 week at the low side of yeast's temperature range. Then bring into a warmer area for another week. Don't lift the lid, let the yeast do her thing.
  • To make sure the beer is done, take a gravity sample before bottling. It should be within 2 points of the estimated FG. If it's not... etc.
It's very possible the beer is done or nearly done.

BTW, what yeast did you pitch? Batch size? Original gravity? Extract, PM, or AG?

Latest posts

Back