secondary temp.-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiles3333

Reaction score
Hi all- Quick question- In general, what should the temp. be like during secondary if you kept your primary at around 65 degrees? Can you let it drop down to around 50 to 55, or should you keep it consistently the same?
Thanks,
Ben

I've just started brewing and actually never used a secondary before. I just ordered one and will be trying it next batch. I asked about temp. because my basement is around 55 and I've had to use a brew belt heater on my primary for the 2 batches I've tried so far. I wasn't sure whether I need to keep the secondary warm as well when I rack to it. Is it beer type specific? Or is it a good idea to keep the beer roughly the same temp. as primary ferm., or is it better to cool most beers down a little in secondary? Thanks,
Ben

I'm guessing you are brewing ales if you were using a brew belt in ambient 55F. You would be fine conditioning an ale at 55F, just be sure fermentation is complete before racking - or don't rack at all and switch off the brew belt. During the summer my crawl space is 55-58F and I move all my ales there for 3+ weeks to condition.

GT

Passload said:
Well, yes beer style can be a factor in the temps. A lower temp in the secondary will help in clearing faster(yeast fallout)

(Not sure what happend with all the posts sorry)

At what temp would to much yeast fallout occur? Or is that possible?

This makes me consider moving my secondary out into the garage to make room for my next batch this weekend. My garage is probably in the 50-60 range.

awesome. thanks passload.

i was under the impression secondary had to be around the same temp as primary. good to know that this will help clear the beer better/faster and will still have enough yeast to carbonate the bottles.

Back