secondary Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingStone

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am about to keg my beer into a commercial keg and I was wondering if I can carbonate it in the pub where I work. The question is there is a secondary regulator which supplies different guess presure for each beer and I was wondering if I could use it to carbonate my beer.

Should I change the pressure or as it is will do the job if I leave it for a day or something ?

If I should change it, how to do and what is the right pressure for it?

Also, for a coffee chocolate stout, using a mixed guess is fine ? or should I use only CO2?

sorry if the question sounds stupid

Thank you for your advices.
Z

If your pub has an available CO2 line from a dedicated secondary regulator you should use our favorite carbonation table, use your beer temperature and desired carbonation level (in "volumes of CO2", where somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 volumes is typical for a sweet stout) and set your secondary regulator to the calculated pressure.

"Mixed" or "beer gas" is typically reserved for dispensing, not actual carbonation.
If you're going to use beer gas to dispense through a "stout" faucet you should carbonate with CO2 to only 1.2 volumes or so, as much higher than that will lead to excessive foaming through a stout faucet...

Cheers!

If your pub has an available CO2 line from a dedicated secondary regulator you should use our favorite carbonation table, use your beer temperature and desired carbonation level (in "volumes of CO2", where somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 volumes is typical for a sweet stout) and set your secondary regulator to the calculated pressure.

"Mixed" or "beer gas" is typically reserved for dispensing, not actual carbonation.
If you're going to use beer gas to dispense through a "stout" faucet you should carbonate with CO2 to only 1.2 volumes or so, as much higher than that will lead to excessive foaming through a stout faucet...

Cheers!

THANK YOU! for your reply,

honestly, because I am really new at this, struggling to understand. I may buy a regulator and use a spare gas bottle for carbonation. But choosing the right psi is so complicated for me. and let's say I figure it out somehow, which type of gas should I use for dispensing ?
Any advice on that?

The reason I am asking, I want to connect my beer into a line at the pub for a staff party.

If your pub has a stout faucet available for you to use for your beer, you should use the linked table to carbonate your keg to around 1.2-1.3 volumes of CO2. The chart is pretty simple, all you need is to find your beer temperature on the Y axis, go across that row to the entries closest to 1.2 or 1.3, then run up the corresponding column to find the correct CO2 pressure to use to carbonate the keg.

Once it's ready you'd put it on your pub's stout faucet and set the beer gas pressure to whatever the faucet works best (fwiw I run 35 psi on my Micromatic beast of a stout faucet).

Otoh...if your pub does not have a stout faucet you'll be dispensing through a conventional faucet using straight CO2, so you should carbonate the keg to the higher range suggested earlier - 1.5 to 2.0 volumes. Just use the same table.

Preferentially I'd go with the stout faucet scenario if available...

Cheers!

Back