Secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert1097

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a lambic sitting in primary since 8/11 that I pitched wyeast lambic blend. Has a nice pellicle on top....really excited about this. My intention is to make it a kriek w/ my initial plan being racking the lambic onto the cherries after a year or so in primary.

My question is: wouldn't I have the same course that I did in primary w/ the sacch doing the upfront work then the bugs taking their time finishing the sugars? Or would the sacch eat up all the sugars w/o leaving much for the bugs since the sugars left are so simple?

Another question: should I add the fruit in primary or is secondary at this point a good idea?

Thanks for any assistance.

I believe that by the end of this time the sacc will have floc'd, died, and been consumed by the bacteria and wild yeast. Could be wrong though.

Most people seem to rack it to secondary to add fruit, not sure if it matters though.

Most of the sacc will have either died or gone dormant under the acidity and lack of food in the beer. When you add fruit most of the sugars will be consumed by brett and pedio.

Back