Secondary Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
Moving my Belgian Golden to secondary on Saturday. Fielding ideas for flavor infusing.

Only my 3rd batch so still new to flavoring.
1st batch was amazing: just playing around trying to learn on the fly.

Why a secondary?

Unless you really want to bulk age on Brett or fruit for several months, and you know how to do a secondary properly, there's no need for one and best to omit that step as you may risk oxidation and infection, with no benefit. Beer can stay on a yeast cake for at least 8 weeks, possibly longer. You can add anything to your "primary" if you want.

Why mess with a good beer? Many flavorings ruin a good beer. I've done a lot in my time (fruits and spices, and other strange additions), and while they do complement the beer occasionally, for the most part they really don't help much and can ruin a decent beer.

I think additions of fruit and spices need to be part of the recipe at the start, rather than a secondary thought after the fact.

Belgians usually have lots of flavors ... do you really need to add anything?

Back