Secondary Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dest149

Reaction score
Do none of you really use secondary fermenters? Why not? What are the pro's and con's? It seems as if most everyone leaves their beer in primary on average 3 weeks. Why not secondary after this or why not some other combination? BTW are some beers better to brew as a first timer? Or should I just go with whatever sounds good?

Do none of you really use secondary fermenters? Why not? What are the pro's and con's? It seems as if most everyone leaves their beer in primary on average 3 weeks. Why not secondary after this or why not some other combination? BTW are some beers better to brew as a first timer? Or should I just go with whatever sounds good?

This one has been covered in a lot of other threads. It is an ongoing debate, pros and cons both sides, there is no real definitive answer.
I am going to personally dry hop the IPA I have going at the moment in a secondary, just in hopes of having a cleaner clearer final product.
The only other time I use a secondary is when I lager, so I can free up my primary, lagering will tie up your fermenter for a long time.

First time brew, I would go for a simple ale, preferably something with a quick turn around time, since first time brewers (including myself) can become impatient with waiting for their beer to finish.

I use a secondary for every beer because it helps keep sediment in my kegs to a minimum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a secondary, just make sure you leave your beer in the primary long enough, 2-3 weeks should do.

I used a secondary once since my 1st batch. That was to oak my dark ale into my Whiskely ale. Best to do oaking,fruit additions & the like off the trub. But I normally do dry hopping in primary after I've reached a stable FG. That way,the yeast are settled out good,& the hop oils won't have as many of them in suspension to cling to & settle out.
But,all in all,it's a matter of personal preference at this point...:mug:

We've really done this discussion to death on here. It's one of the most discussed and debated subjects on here, there really is plenty of material for you to read already already answering your question, and really any other question o the topic you may have.

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the uber discussion on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Most everyone on here has ventured their opinions on the subject many many times, and most of them have ended up in the above thread. Most folks will pass this thread by because, although this discussion is fresh to you, it's a dead horse to many folks, so if you really do want opinions, and even some facts and citations, and articles, podcasts and other things on this topic, hit that thread.

Tons of opinions. Good for long term aging and dry hopping, pointless for most any other situations.

As a first time brew I would stick with a basic ale. Assuming you don't have temperature control I'd also stick with forgiving styles that can either hide temperature issues or embrace them. Hops and roasted malt are great for hiding things, so an American brown ale has the best of both worlds to hide things. Also you could go with a Belgian that will handle fermentation spikes...just go with a lower gravity style like a blond as dealing with high grav brews before knowing how to wrangle yeast will lead to a "stuck fermentation" thread in a week.

Latest posts

Back