Secondary Fermenting in 6.5 gal Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmiekr

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my third batch and just picked up a carboy. My plans were to use it for secondary fermentation, but I bought a 6.5 gal one instead of a 5 gal. I wasn't aware of the difference earlier :)

Would it be ok to use the 6.5 for sec. fermentation or should I wait to get a 5 gal?

I would think it'd be ok, but you guys are the experts ;)

I dont see how it would make a difference. The point of secondary is to get the beer off the build up at the bottom of the primary bucket.

6.5 is going to give you more head space that could harbor more oxygen, which you don't want the beer exposed to during secondary fermentation. I have seen it suggested that since co2 generated post racking is heavier than air, you are ok with the extra headroom as long as you don't disturb it. Course, you can always purge it with co2 as well if you are concerned.

I am sure there are folks that use 6.5s to secondary that could better comment on the practical possibility of oxidation.

Back