secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally when I do stouts and heavy ale's, I do primary for 7 - 10 days, and then rack it into a Carboy for 1 - 3 weeks, depending on my patience to drink it :D

This question is posted at least 5 times a week. Look down at the bottom of the thread page! All the opinions you can handle.

Secondary High gravity/fruit/other crazy additions...anything else. I let it ride out in the primary till it takes the trip to kegville.

yup, it's a debate that has been done many times already. there are arguments in favor of both, although i have the impression that people are trending towards no secondary.

use the search function at the top of the page to find these old debate. don't use the default search box. click on the "down arrow" by the search box and use the Goggle custom search. much better results.

I like to do secondary and cold crash before kegging/bottling. I find this leaves me with a clearer beer.

Back