Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Kellen

Reaction score
Curious from more seasoned brewers; does use of secondary fermentation do much for the final product? I have the equipment to do it, but only if it truly matters. I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze. Are there additional risks of contamination?

I'm echoing what @Jag75 said. If you're doing a true secondary fermentation (adding fruit or other fermentables) it may offer some benefits, although not always necessary, fruit and syrups can be added to a primary just as well. For long time bulk aging (>2-3 months) yes, get it off the yeast.

Main risks of using secondaries are oxidation and infection, especially in unskilled/novice hands. Secondaries don't cure anything either, beer will clear just as well and yeast won't autolyze for 2-3 months. For 99.99% of beers brewed, secondaries are not needed.

Much appreciated. I'm not much of a fruit beer guy and I certainly don't judge.

Patience is my friend.

Only thing I secondary, and sometimes tertiary, is mead.

Let it finish fermenting, four to eight weeks usually. Rack (secondary) and let it settle for a month or more. Rack (tertiary) again onto sulfite and sorbate to kill any remaining yeast and wait another month, at least, then bottle.

Why fruit not late in primary?

The only thing that would make me use a secondary for fruit is space in the fermenter, ease of adding the fruit, or if I was going to leave it on the fruit for and extended period of time. Though I doubt that you would ever want to leave the fruit that long.....

I've found I secondary less now that I keg. The keg process clears beer quickly by cold crashing and purging out the bottom sediment. I get more clear beer by kegging then bottling with secondary. I just give my primary a little extra time.

Back