Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk34

Reaction score
Brewing with extract on pumpkin beer with 10.8 abv when do I rack to my secondary and so I need to add more yeast when I do?

Are you aging the beer on the pumpkin? Or was pumpkin added to the boil? You generally do no need to use a secondary unless you are aging it on fruit or wood, or unless you have some other specific reason. You do not add more yeast, in fact one of the reasons some people rack to a secondary is to pull the beer off of the yeast cake. The beer shouldn't be racked to a secondary until it is done fermenting.

I steeped in pumpkin than Added more right into boil with 15 minutes left. My last batch had to much sediment.

And trying to age beer my og 1.113 what kind of fg should I be looking for?

Is that because abv so high r we talking every few days swirl

And it will drop that far in gravity also how can I tell what my attenuation is?

What does that mean fairly fluorescent for yeast how does that matter? Bing new to brewing just seems like so much info and obviously fiffers from person to person but it is nice to find someone who know what there talking about. I have a question I bottled my first batch my og was 1.19 my final after three weeks was 1.09 I couldn't get it any lower do I bottled any way to tell if it is carbing up. Two pieces of I for no secondary because I made in mr beer I now have acquired a second. Works for me with only bring 2 gallons and I'm using extract with grain steeping. So no bottling bucket I used carb drops I Ty for ur help

The difference in whether you use a secondary or primary only will be insignificant compared to the importance of pitch rate, yeast health, oxygen level and fermentation temperature. This is alway true but becomes exponentially more important when brewing high gravity beers like this.

Adding yeast to secondary would not only defeat the purpose of this step, it would be very unlikely to help in any way. With plenty of alcohol already present at this stage, the new yeast will never even start fermenting. You'll just be adding sediment.

What's your aeration technique? This will have a big influence on your final attenuation and is very important for big beers...

Not sure what u mean by aerating yeast I rehydrated it poured in it sat for about a half hour before I added gave gentle swirl after adding just because I had to walk with itthat was the swirl

Oxygen am I suppose to add I put in my fermenter closed lid there are 2 co2 slit releases which part of design not sure about the aerating and oxygen

You should read the book "Yeast". Don't take this the wrong way but I don't have much confidence in your high gravity beer if you don't know what aeration is. It's one thing to not have your process dialed in, it's quite another to not even know what it is. Good luck!!

image-4096936335.jpg

After 12 hours

bobk34 said:
Thanks for telling me nice support

I'm not trying to beat you down, quite the opposite. In any endeavor it's wise to set yourself up for success by starting small and simple first to build skill and experience. A 10%+ pumpkin beer is neither small nor simple. I hope it turns out great, I really do. I just don't think it will and I hope you read, pick a simpler recipe and jump right back on the horse...

What does that mean fairly fluorescent for yeast how does that matter? Bing new to brewing just seems like so much info and obviously fiffers from person to person but it is nice to find someone who know what there talking about. I have a question I bottled my first batch my og was 1.19 my final after three weeks was 1.09 I couldn't get it any lower do I bottled any way to tell if it is carbing up. Two pieces of I for no secondary because I made in mr beer I now have acquired a second. Works for me with only bring 2 gallons and I'm using extract with grain steeping. So no bottling bucket I used carb drops I Ty for ur help

Flocculation means how well the the yeast settles out.

If the bottles were left at room/fermentation temps then usually 3 weeks is a good avg for carbing but only way to tell is to open one up.

With all the extras under memorable sugar I screwed it up four straight days at that level. Will have to be careful

With all the extras under memorable sugar I screwed it up four straight days at that level. Will have to be careful

I have no idea what any of this means and I'm suspecting you're just f-ing with us about bottling a beer that was at 1.090 but if you're serious that is scary. Those things are going to explode.

bobk34 said:

Mmmmm... Love me some memorable sugar!

BlackGoat said:
I have no idea what any of this means and I'm suspecting you're just f-ing with us about bottling a beer that was at 1.090 but if you're serious that is scary. Those things are going to explode.
ur right I was reading my meter wrong as I saw the 1.039 I saw the 9 mark didn't realize the 30 under 1.0000 by u pointing this out it helped me realize I was reading it wrong

Back