Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrybeggs

Reaction score
I am four days or so into my first batch of Skeeter Pee--easily the largest and most complicated recipe I have tried for. My airlock is putting along nicely, and I think it is nearly time for me to add my last bottle of juice and rack into a new vessel. The recipe calls for a carboy to rack into, and then another for when the fermentation is complete. I only have two Ale Pails which I am using for this, one with a spigot, one without. Is it okay to use a bucket for secondary? Carboys seem to be cost forbidding and I really think I would prefer to work with buckets. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Yeah, you can use a bucket to secondary ferment in. I've fermented in my bottling bucket on accident in the past (no idea how I did it...) and it's fine as long as your seals are tight and it doesn't leak. Of course, make sure you sanitize the heck out of the spigot and the bucket, but you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back