Secondary Fermentation With Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomisman

Reaction score
I did a pale ale and added grapefruit to the secondary. I used WLP051 at 68 F. I transferred to the secondary 4 days ago and have seen no activity other than the liquid in the airlock is pushed to one side. I expected a blowoff should I be concerned? The gravity was 1.030 and is now 1.020.

Depending on your recipe, 1.020 is almost done if not finished for pale ale (depending on yeast attenuation and amount of crystal malt used) not seeing airlock activity is normal for lots of beers

Fruit seems to decrease the viability of yeast. My blog had details on this. However yeast are pretty hearty. It will finish.

Fruit seems to decrease the viability of yeast. My blog had details on this. However yeast are pretty hearty. It will finish.

A couple of days ago I bottled an English IPA. 1/2 was just beer, the other carboy I added about 3 lbs. of fresh very ripe blackberries and some fresh hops to. A lot of the blackberries were very dehydrated and raisin like.

Both started at 1.070, and the straight beer one was a little higher in gravity than the fruit/hop addition one. 1.020 vs. 1.019.

Added about 1/2 the DME for priming sugar to the fruit one, hoping to avoid overfermenting and the risk of bottle bombs. Both carboys sat for a good month in both primary and another month in secondary so we shall see.

Back