Secondary Fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve just started brewing and I am using a 2-stage fermentation, Primary 1 week then secondary for 2 weeks. Do you keep the secondary temperature the same as the primary or put it somewhere cool.

Regards Paul :drunk:

I guess you could play with it if you want, but generally, I think you use the same temp for both primary and secondary, at least for ales, don't quote me on lagers.

Depending on the yeast the recipe calls for, you'll want it at different temps. Ales like about 16-20 C while lagers like it colder, 6-12 C, give or take. Depending on where you are in the range, you'll get a slightly different profile in your final product, so to a very refined tongue, a lager fermented at 6 C might taste different than the same one fermented at 12 C, though I doubt I would be able to tell the difference.

Regardless of temp, make sure you keep your fermenter in a dark place.
Good luck...

Am I right in that its sunlight and fluorescent lights that are bad? If yes, is it more of a prolonged exposure type thing? The reason I ask is my basement is perfect temp wise but with windows all around its hard to keep the carboys out of the light, they are not in direct light, during the day the light level is dim at best. I used the carboy boxes to make covers that slide over the carboys to block the light, I made some air holes as well not sure they are needed I think the CO2 can get out with out them.

Well, isn't it Budweiser that's "Frost Brewed"? I'm still trying to figure out that one...it's like Ice Grilling if you ask me.

I want to know how they get their sparges to work at frost temps. Then again, maybe I don't. It's been a LONG time since I've had a Budweiser.

I just wrap an old towel around my carboys when I have them anywhere that light might get to them.

Back