secondary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc904

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have two batches of beer fermenting in my basement. They are Brewers Best kits. The instruction say to do a two week secondary fermentation after five to seven days for best results. I racked both batches into a secondarys after five days. I racked one batch into a better bottle and the other into an ale pale fermenter. Is it alright to use Better bottles and plastic buckets for secondary fermentation or is the beer more likely to pick up off flavor in a plastic vessel? I am going to buy glass carboys as soon as possible to use for secondary but since I am a beginner I'm just trying to get by with what equipment I've got. Thanks

From what I've heard Better Bottles make fine secondaries. You should be fine.

Only thing is a lot of the kit recipes tell you after a week to rack over into a secondary. In most cases you don't want to rack over until the vast majority of the fermentation is done. So, if you still have an active airlock, leave it alone. You won't necessarily ruin the beer but its better just to let it ferment out before going to secondary. Many MANY people are skipping the secondary step altogether unless adding fruit or something...

Read the wiki about conditioning. It helped explain to me the concept of the "secondary". RDWHAHB

Technically, a secondary vessel usually has very little extra room. This is because without active fermentation there is not much CO2 to "blanket" your beer and protect it from oxygenation. 5 gal glass carboys or better bottles work. I would be concerned about the head space in an ale pail. That being said as long as it is in the pail only 2-3 weeks I think it will be fine.

I wouldn't bother getting a glass fermentor. The better bottles are great substitutes, much lighter and they aren't going to injure you severely when (not if, when) you drop one :(.

As mentioned performing a "secondary fermentation" is great for your beer but it need not be done in a second vessel, just leave it in your primary for 2-3 weeks after obvious fermentation has finished. Read the wiki section on conditioning: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Conditioning_the_Beer

GT

Your equipment is fine, you shouldn't have any problems. Those Brewers Best kits all recommend a secondary. I never did a secondary and they all came out great.

Latest posts

Back