Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbee

Reaction score
My brew is in the secondary now for just over 1 week. It is a honey wheat from a kit that didn't recomend any secondary, but I figured that should improve the beer even more so why not. I now have noticed little white "islands" floating on top of the brew. I have not noticed much of any activity in the airlock and the airlock now has more fluid in it then when it first started the secondary ferm. It looks more than just the air space from the small inverted cup in a 3 piece air lock. I was very meticulous with the sanitization (see my nick) and paid special attention to anything that my hands would touch and not come in contact with the beer, esp the siphon tubing.

Is something wrong happening?? I don't want to open the seal if I don't need to and was shooting for a 2 week secodary ferm.

:confused:

Quite often after you rack from the primary you stir up the yeast which will kick up fermentation again slightly.

You're good. Give it two weeks in the primary before you bottle though. Cheers

:mug:

I racked an American Amber from primary to secondary late Saturday night and it did the exact same thing. From what I read, this is absolutely normal. Also, it gets rid of the layer of trub from the primary and forces the yeast to eat on some of the other sugars that contribute to bad flavors. Plus, secondary fermentors will help clear up the beer as well.

you will also notice that the top layer of your beer will turn real dark. this is the yeast starting to fall out of suspension.

Thanks for the info and I feel better and will wait.....

where can i find the recipe for the Bombshell Blonde??

docbee said:
where can i find the recipe for the Bombshell Blonde??

Ill post my latest recipe tonight When I get home. I cant remember the hop additions atm. Nothing fancy, but very good, and very easy to drink alot of.

basically

7 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 10L
1/2 CaraPils

IBUs are down at around 12-14

Give Amarillos a shot, they work real well.

Back