secondary fermentation in IPA necessary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott422

Reaction score
Hello.. will be making my first batch of IPA next. I am brand new to brewing and only bought a basic kit, that did not contain a secondary. How long should I leave my IPA in primary before botteling to get best end results? thanks

I like to leave my beers about 3 weeks in the primary. Does your recipe ask for some dryhopping? You can dry hop in primary, after the fermentation is over, for a week at the end before bottling. But it's a bit messier if you're not using a secondary! What is the recipe you're using?

thanks I am a little paranoid being new to all this, I am using an extract kit (northenbrewer)that does not call for dry hopping. I didn't know it would hurt to leave in primary longer than the two weeks called for in the kit.

thanks I am a little paranoid being new to all this, I am using an extract kit (northenbrewer)that does not call for dry hopping. I didn't know it would hurt to leave in primary longer than the two weeks called for in the kit.

I like to leave ales at least three weeks in the fermenter- I noticed much "cleaner" beer as a result. If you're not dryhopping, I don't see any reason to use a secondary fermenter. "Bigger" (like IPAs, higher alcohol pale ales, bigger Belgians) beers tend to do better if allowed to stay in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks, but in "smaller" beers (like milds, hefes, etc) 2-3 weeks is usually adequate.

I tend to leave my beers in primary normally for a month, UNLESS I am doing something like dry hopping, adding oak, or adding fruit.

I did an IPA recently and the recipe required dryhopping, so I waited two weeks to make sure fermentation was complete (I checked with my hydrometer and it was) then I racked it to secondary with my dryhopping hops (1 ounce of cascade) and left in there for another two weeks before bottling.

And the beer is tasty.

Now if you wanted to you could get another ounce of hops and dry hop it on your own.

But since your recipe doesn't call for it, and if you choose not to, you can do like yoop and many of us do and let it sit in primary for 3-4 weeks, it makes for really clear, clean and crisp tasting beers.

I just put my first ever batch (Brewer's Best IPA) in the primary fermenter and I have to head out of town next week, when the directions suggest adding it to the secondary fermenter. My question is, can I transfer to the secondary a couple days late or should i leave it in the primary in extra couple days as suggested above?

Daveyo... Those dates on the kit are meaningless. It won't hurt to leave it for 1, 2, or even 3 weeks longer than whats called for. I generally leave my beers on the yeast cake for 1 to two weeks after airlock activity stops. I know my system and am confident in my process to take one fg reading before I play with my beer, but you really should check your fg and have a stable reading after 3 or 4 days before you mess with it.

Daveyo... Those dates on the kit are meaningless. It won't hurt to leave it for 1, 2, or even 3 weeks longer than whats called for. I generally leave my beers on the yeast cake for 1 to two weeks after airlock activity stops. I know my system and am confident in my process to take one fg reading before I play with my beer, but you really should check your fg and have a stable reading after 3 or 4 days before you mess with it.

Thanks for the help. I am starting to get a little nervous because i am not seeing any airlock activity yet. Any ideas on how long it takes? It has been almost 48 hours.

daveyo33 said:
Thanks for the help. I am starting to get a little nervous because i am not seeing any airlock activity yet. Any ideas on how long it takes? It has been almost 48 hours.

It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to begin. Depends on yeast health, pitch rate, temperature, aeration.

Lag time, phase 1 is when the yeast eat up all the O2 and nutrients to multiply and begin fermenting the beer. If any essential items are low lag time increase

I did an IPA recently and the recipe required dryhopping, so I waited two weeks to make sure fermentation was complete (I checked with my hydrometer and it was) then I racked it to secondary with my dryhopping hops (1 ounce of cascade) and left in there for another two weeks before bottling.

Woah, I've been reading the forum all day debating weather or not to transfer to secondary when dry hopping. In all the cases I've read, it was you recommended keeping the beer in primary the entire time. Whats different this time?

Also, I'd love your advice, what do you recommend i do? I'm brewing a pliny the elder clone from morebeer (huge IIPA). I'm 12 days in and would like to ideally keep it in primary and throw my dry hops in... My only concern is I have about a 4 inch layer of trub.. Thoughts?

Back