Secondary Fermentation in FastFerment 3 Gal want to add cocoa nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illhaveanother

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you are all staying safe! I have a milk stout currently in a 3 gal conical FastFerment undergoing primary fermentation. For the secondary I'd like to add cocoa nibs in a muslin bag after seeping them in vodka for a day or two. My question is: can I unscrew the top to throw in the bag right when I start secondary? I'm nervous about o2 as the benefit for me using the FastFerment is the glass mason jar that provides a seamless transition without having to transfer to a different fermenter. Are there recommended tactics for those who have done this before with the FastFerment? Also, should I toss in the muslin bag (after sanitizing) or should I suspend somehow from the top? Any recommendations there would be welcome. I stayed up way too late last night looking for a complete answer and could only find bits and pieces.

Thank you in advance!

I have a FF . Do you have access to co2 ? If not you can open and set the nibs into the beer then seal. It's a stout so oxidation wont be as noticeable as an IPA. I boil my muslin bag for a bit . Then toss my nibs in the bag , liquid and all . Open the top and add the bag and the liquid . I always purge with co2 anytime I open the fermenter.

I dont use my FF that much anymore , but I'm gonna do a test on filling the collection ball with hops , purge with co2 then attach. Open the valve and send the hops up into the fermenter .

I do not have access to co2 unfortunately. Was hoping there was some way to utilize the collection ball to add the nibs but it looks like I'm going to have to risk it.

I do not have access to co2 unfortunately. Was hoping there was some way to utilize the collection ball to add the nibs but it looks like I'm going to have to risk it.

You should be fine , as long as it's not open too long and you dont splash too much

Back