Secondary ferm with just siphoning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boscobeans

Reaction score
I am new to partial boils and just finished a 5 gallon batch of Brewer's Best Imperial Nut Brown. It has been in the fermenter for 3 days and is cooking along well.

I was wondering if it makes any sense to siphon off most of the trob after a week and leave the balance to finish and condition for another two or three weeks.

This way I could bottle right from the original fermenter, which is the newer Cooper's type without the airlock.

Welcome to any ideas you may have.

bosco

I'd leave in in there for the 3 weeks and not touch it. In the meantime.....go out and get a bottling bucket with a spigot......they are very cheap.

I'd leave the cooper fermentor alone if that's what your using and just go with their method.

step up to a bottling buck later.

Thanks for the responses. I have a carboy for bottling (never had to use it so far with the Cooper's system). Just though it might be better to get some of the bottom out before going to the bottles.

Thanks,

bosco

its going to be hard to siphon the trub out even with a 1/2" hose.

Personally I'd use a primary/secondary/bottling bucket, but the coopers fermentor has a high tap so since its what you are using I'd just bottle from it as-is or rack to your carboy for batch priming if you don't want to use the coopers tablets.

Latest posts

Back