Secondary - do I need to transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
I'm dry "hopping" with lavender in my current Spring Ale, and was wondering if it was a necessity to transfer to another carboy or can I just leave it as is?

I'm thinking about kegging this batch as well, but don't have the system for it. I can get it on Austin Homebrew Supply for $134.99 w/o the tank (my brother has one). Worth it?

Kegging is definitely worth it if you have a fridge or freezer to convert into a kegerator. If you "dry lavender" in a strainer bag, there's no need for an extra transfer.

I'm dry "hopping" with lavender in my current Spring Ale, and was wondering if it was a necessity to transfer to another carboy or can I just leave it as is?

I'm thinking about kegging this batch as well, but don't have the system for it. I can get it on Austin Homebrew Supply for $134.99 w/o the tank (my brother has one). Worth it?

A lot of people dry hop in their primary but some like to transfer to a secondary if they are dry hopping for an extended period of time so their beer isn't sitting on the yeast cake as long....personal preference IMO.

If you are interested in kegging you should check around to see if you can find a used corny on craigslist or at a local scrap metal yard. I found a guy who was selling a bunch of corny's for $30 a pop on craigslist recently.

ArcaneXor answered your first question sufficiently, so I've got nothing to add there.

Kegging is one of those things that some people couldn't live without but that others don't see as necessary. I've never had much interest in kegging, but I can understand why other people might. It's really just about how annoying you find bottling. I've never really minded bottling, and I can do a batch from start to cleanup in about 30 minutes. But, I've got friends who hate it.

I have 14 varieties of beer in bottles that I can choose from. Just how many kegs can you afford and how big is your fridge?

I have 14 varieties of beer in bottles that I can choose from. Just how many kegs can you afford and how big is your fridge?

I usually only have 1 beer ready to drink at any given time - I always have friends over to sample on the "unveiling" and we go through 90-100% of it every time.

Latest posts

Back