Secondary (clearing) for stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I know I read this somewhere before on these forums but I can't find it.
Is secondary (clearing) necessary for stouts? Could you just leave it in primary for longer?
Or is it a matter of clearing out more sediment to lessen it at bottling time?

Tommy

Once I saw how much junk falls out of suspension in a secondary, I dont think I'll ever not use the clearing tank. Even when you rack to secondary if it looks clean, there has always been atleast half an inch of trub in my tank.

To answer your question, I dont think it's necessary to put most brews in a secondary, but I would definitely suggest it.

I agree. I get 1/2 inch of stuff at the bottom of my secondary too, so I think it is a good idea to use a secondary for conditioning and clarifying.

I agree but my point was the fact that a stout is dark/black. Clear beer is basically for aesthetics and a stout won't be clear anyway, or not that you could tell.

Tommy

It's still a good idea to age a stout for a while. Using a secondary isn't just about clarification, it's also about giving the beer time to develop.

Back