Secondary active fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toast

Reaction score
I have a question about this, since I have never been down this road before...
In my secondary, last Wednesday, I added about 5 lbs of cherries to my imperial stout. Fermentation is still active today (a week later). Not as much as it was, but the airlock releases CO2 about every minute and a half.
I have to pitch more yeast 3 days before bottling it up and I'm waiting for the active fermentation to stop, but it's just not stopping. My question is: How long could I possibly let it sit in the secondary for? I'm a bit concerned because I had once left a batch in a fermenter too long one time and it ended up going bad.:confused:

Airlock bubbles do not indicate active fermentation all they indicate is gas exchange. The only way to know what is going on is with hydrometer readings that are 24 hours apart. It is VERY likely that there is a small amount of CO2 in suspension and the cherries are providing a nucleation point, knocking the CO2 out of suspension, making bubbles...

Why would you need to add more yeast for bottling??? What is wrong with the yeast that is in it???

To answer your question... You can leave beer in secondary for weeks easy, moths may be pushing it depending on beer/style.

The only reason why I wanted to re-pitch the yeast is because the ABV is pretty high and I want to make sure that it has enough yeast to get the job done. The OG was 1.101 after the boil.

Back