Second try at an IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33F

Reaction score
So as the title suggests, I'm going with my second try at a IIPA today. I'm going from this recipe from Stone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/6-stone-clone-recipes-dec-08s-byo-mag-89903/index4.html#post1014589

The thing is though, I had their 10th Anniversary Ruination and it was liquid gold in my opinion so I'd like to go for a middle of the road between the normal Ruination and the 10th Anniversary. The !0th ann. version has over 10% abv and way more IBUs than the original but I know that might be a bit tough for a newbie like me to get that high of an OG down to a drinkable level. Anyway, I know it's not a clone but I figured I'd give you guys my recipe and let some of the pros let me know what to correct. I'm only brewing a 1.25 gallon batch (5l) so that's why my hop additions are so minimal compared to the majority of recipes on here. :)

Grain Bill:

Light DME 30.8%
Amber DME 30.8%
Caramel Malt 3.8%
Maris Otter Pale Malt 23.1%
Amber Candi Sugar (boil for 20min) 11.5%

My first try at an IIPA came out ok, but entirely too much body, that's the reason for the Candi sugar. I made it myself the other day and it tastes pretty good, slight caramel notes but not overpowering and almost definitely not the same as a traditional belgian candi sugar. I definitely don't think it has 75 SRMs, which is what Beersmith is saying Amber Candi Sugar has.

Hops:
Columbus (17.5%) 60min 13g (0.46oz)
Centennial (11.5%) 15min 9g (0.32)
Centennial (11.5%) Dry Hopping 15g (0.53)

Beersmith info:
125 IBUs
1.083 OG
13 SRM
8.8 ABV
est FG 1.017

Based on that recipe, I feel like there should be a bit more late addition hops after the 15min. Possibly a 1 or 2 min or even a steeping at the flameout.

Suggestions welcome!

~Beef

Latest posts

Back