Second Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordoshawt

Reaction score
HAve my second brew, Pilsner Ale, sitting in the sink chilling right now. It has been chilling for about 40 min, and it is still at 90 degrees. It should be fine to wait right? I am using 05 yeast that has a range of 59-75, and I am out of ice.

No problems, better to wait for it to get into pitching range than pitch warm. Can you at least change out the water in the sink?

If this is an extract brew, I'm assuming you have already topped off.

It is topped off, and I have ben changing the water in the sink. I just wanted to make sure it is alright to let it sit for a while not covered.

I need to invest in a chiller for my next brew in a week or so.

Either that or more ice. You can also bring it down pretty quick if you keep your top off water in the fridge and then use the ice water to bring the non-diluted wort down to about 100 before topping off. You may also want to hold up on the ice until you've cooled the wort down for a few minutes with just cold water in the sink.

I would at least cover it. As soon as you get below that 160 mark your wort starts to get into that stage of being really careful with it.

One thing I would suggest is just putting it in the fermenting bucket or carboy, seal it and let it come down. Either put it outside, if you live in a cold area or just let it come down to room temp.

Regardless, cover it so nothing extra gets in.

Good luck!

I would at least cover it. As soon as you get below that 160 mark your wort starts to get into that stage of being really careful with it.

One thing I would suggest is just putting it in the fermenting bucket or carboy, seal it and let it come down. Either put it outside, if you live in a cold area or just let it come down to room temp.

Regardless, cover it so nothing extra gets in.

Good luck!

Seconded.

The exact temperature you pitch at isn't that important if it's going to get down to where it will ferment pretty quick.

Back