Second brew down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigthor

Reaction score
Well, second brew is done and in the primary. I brewed the Vanilla Cream Ale I found on this forum: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/19258-post5.html

Everything went well for the most part. I did a bigger boil this time, 4 gallons as opposed to three. I had some trouble getting it to boil on my crappy electric stove, but wrapping a towl around it to insulate help. I believe I saw a post on here with a decent insulator, I'm going to try that next time.

I did make a few mistakes. Dumped the whole 1 ounce of saaz hops in instead of just half, but I hope that won't make much of a difference. Also, I didn't use hop bags with my pellets this time, and I kind of wish i would have. The hops broke up into powder, and i realized i didn't have anything proper to strain them out with. I whirlpooled the pot after cooling, and think i got most of them settled to the bottom as there was a large amount of green trub at the bottom of the pot, but I'm almost sure some made it into the fermentor.

Oh well, I guess i just need to RDWHAHB.

I don't use hop bags and dump everything into the fermenter. When I rack, I rubberband a hop bag over the intake of my autosiphon. I find it easier. Either way you choose is fine.

Back