Second batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Tex

Reaction score
My first batch of beer, a Honey Wheat just finished its three weeks of conditioning. I had one last night and it was amazing! Thanks for all the help everyone!

With that one done, I'm trying to figure out what would be a good second batch to make. It's pretty warm here (upper 70s). Should I stick to wheat beers since they can do the warmer weather?

Also, I wasn't too happy with the quality of the yeast I used. I let it sit in warm water before pitching, and it didn't look nearly as active as in pictures I've seen. I used the yeast that came with my Austin Homebrew kit. Should I instead order a separate yeast packet or something?

And one last question. Since I racked to secondary for a week, I did the initial fermentation in my bottling bucket. A bunch of the trub (that's the stuff at the bottom right?) got stuck in the spigot and it was a pain to clean. Is there a plug or something I can stick into that hole for when I'm not using the bucket for bottling?

Thanks!
CT

#1 You like wheats, you got warm weather, easy call.
#2 Re-hydrated yeast doesn't look active. You might be confusing this with pictures of starters.
#3 Get a nipple brush (Baby section not BDSM)

Captain Tex said:
And one last question. Since I racked to secondary for a week, I did the initial fermentation in my bottling bucket. A bunch of the trub (that's the stuff at the bottom right?) got stuck in the spigot and it was a pain to clean. Is there a plug or something I can stick into that hole for when I'm not using the bucket for bottling?

Thanks!
CT

A rubber bung (same size as fits into the neck of a bottle) will fit in the back of the spigot.

-a.

Safbrew dry yeast will proof up like that with warm water alone. Other dried yeasts I've used in the past did not get the foamy head.

you can check out hte DIY section under Equipment...for some ideas on keeping the fermenter cool enough for ales in very cheap ways. putting a bucket in water with a t-shirt around it (swamp cooler) is a popular way. I made a mini-cooler with rigid insulation and a central A/C duct providing the cooling. for $20 I can keep ales in the low 60's.

As David said, if you like wheat beers and have a hot summer on the way go for it. If you want a good active yeast and dont want to spend alot try the safale-US56. Great yeast, and if you want to spend 8 bucks try the american wheat yeast or even a kolsch yeast for a good american wheat.

While I'm a noob also, I suggest you get started on your next batch soon. We're about out of our first batch, and our second batch won't be quite ready soon enough, methinks.
Brew what you like, I say. My wife and I both like stouts and porters, enough that we're drinking stout outside in a Georgia summer.

:tank:

ajf said:
A rubber bung (same size as fits into the neck of a bottle) will fit in the back of the spigot.

-a.

You mean like a rubber stopper? I actually had a second reason for asking this question. I have an extra bucket where the spigot hole was drilled too close to the bottom, rendering it unusable for bottling. However, I don't want the bucket to go to waste. Would it be cool if I just plugged up that hole with a stopper and then fermented in it? I figured as long as the stopper is sterilized first, it should be fine.

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=942

Dumb question, if the given dimensions of a stopper are 1 1/8" x 1", which number represents the diameter, the 1"?

Thanks!
CT

Latest posts

Back