Second Batch, missed OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tag0304

Reaction score
My first batch is still fermenting and everything went fine with that. Was an extract kit, everything hit within the ranges expected. I started my second batch today. Was from my lhbs, Crystal Honey Lager.
Fermentables:
3.6 Lbs. Pale LME
3 Lbs. Wildflower Honey (add Last 5 minutes of boil.)
Boil/Bitter Hops 1 oz Crystal (55 Minute Boil)
Aroma Hops 1 oz Crystal ( 5 minute along with above Honey same time)
Safale US-05 was used

Says expected OG of 1.053 Final of 1.011

I ended up with 1.044 OG

The instructions like my other kit are for a 2.5 gallon boil, but I did the same I did with my first and did a full boil. First time 6.25 got me my 5 gallons in the fermentor. So I repeated that. Everything went fine during boil, I did add Irish Moss with 15 minutes left (I have read that has no effect on gravity, correct?). I did notice after cooling the wort with the chiller I had lots of gunk stuck to the side just above the wort line. Didn't have this with first batch. Perhaps I should have noticed this earlier and scraped in during boil? My guess is from the aroma hops added? (no bag just pellets tossed in). Only other thing different with this is I had planned to transfer my first batch into secondary so I could use my only 6 gallon primary (vintage plastic bottle). I opted out after reading more here on transferring to secondary not really necessary and borrowed one of my dads glass carboys. I thought the glass carboy was a 6.5. but is it possible to be bigger? I made marks on my primary to know how much, but didn't with his. Didn't cross my mind. I just boiled same as before assuming I would get same evaporation. But after transferring into his glass carboy it looks like a lot less. At least initially. Once I had it next to my 6 gallon Vintage Shop carboy I noticed what I huge different in size they are. Much wider diameter. Im thinking I am at 5 gallons but just playing tricks on my eyes. I didnt want to add anything already coming up short on gravity.

SO about that gravity, Im not really worried but is that within a norm? Instructions say 1.053 and I hit 1.044. No water added after the fact so I know its not a mixing issue. I tried seeing what Beersmith gave as OG for the recipe but the wildflower honey is throwing me off (not in there). If I just pick honey its saying 1.047 which is much closer to me.

Sounds like you ended up with more wort due to less boil off. It takes few brews to figure out how to control your boil off. Don't despair, the beer won't change much and, as a bonus, you'll have a few more bottles of it.

Just thought I would revisit this as I just bottled it up. Original post was wrong on OG, I had not calculated Temp in. OG was 1.048. As stated above I was unsure on the volume I had ended with. Ended up at 4.75 gallons at bottling. So the lower gravity was not due to more wort as suggested or even I thought. Honestly still learning all this but perhaps my first reading was inaccurate. I did a full boil so it was not a mixing issue but maybe my temp readings were off. Anyways Final gravity was 1.010 with accurate temp adjusted. Recipe predicted finish of 1.011 so was about dead on. All I think ended up well. Now the wait.

Back